If you need help getting set up on these social media apps, you can always call or video chat with your grandkids and ask them for their guidance. They love giving advice!
This is only available on mobile devices. Just open the app and follow the prompts to create a Bitmoji in your image. It will be added to your keyboard options.
Bitmoji for Apple: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bitmoji/id868077558
Bitmoji for Google: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitstrips.imoji&hl=en_US
Skype is an app that allows you to video chat with people whether they have Apple or non-Apple devices. Skype is available for phones, tablets, PCs and Macs. And, it’s free.
- Download the app and create an account.
- Contact your friends and family members using their phone number.
- Download the Instagram app from your app store to your smart phone.
- Create a Private account.
- Once your account is created, click on the magnifying glass / search icon and type in the names of your friends and family members to find them on Instagram. Request to follow them. Once they accept your request, they will ask to follow you back. Just like Facebook, you have to approve their follow request.
- To approve follow requests, click on the my account icon at the bottom right of the screen. At the top of the screen, you will see “Posts”, “Followers” and “Following” at the top. If you click on followers, then click on “Follow Requests” at the top of the page, you will be able to approve followers.
- To create a post, simply click on the “plus” icon at the bottom of the screen. You can select a photo or multiple photos and add a short comment, much like Facebook.
Instagram for Apple: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/instagram/id389801252
Instagram for Google: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.instagram.android&hl=en_US
- Download Snapchat from your app store to your smart phone.
- When you open the app, it will prompt you to SIGN UP. Follow the prompts and select a username and password when prompted.
- Once your account is set up, the app will ask you to allow access to your contacts to find friends. Say NO. Later, you can search for your family members on SnapChat by their username or phone number.
- Once you have selected your friends, you can take a selfie, add text and decorations and then send it. When you hit “send,” the app will allow you to select friends and send your picture.
- Once you take a picture, select the options on the right side of the screen to add Text or Stickers to your photo.
- To take a video, hold down on the button while you talk.
- To add a cool filter, tap the screen before you take your picture. Filter options will show up along the bottom of the screen and you can select one. You may have to share your location before using filters.
- If you have a Bitmoji, you can sync your Bitmoji to your Snapchat profile. Go to the settings gear at the top right of your screen to manage your account.
Snapchat for Apple: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/snapchat/id447188370
Snapchat for Google: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snapchat.android&hl=en_US
- Download the TikTok from your app store to your smart phone.
- Open the app and select some areas of interest. Once you select your interests, TikTok will suggest videos for you to view. You can view some videos and get an idea of what kind of videos are on TikTok. There are tons!
- Up to this point, you do not need to create an account.
- Just like Instagram, you have the ability to “follow” or be “followed” on TikTok. To connect with your friends and family members, click on “Me” at the bottom right of the screen and create your account.
- Make sure you change your username during setup – otherwise Tiktok assigns you a random number as your username.
- Then, search for your friends and family members. The easiest way to do this is probably to find out their username ahead of time.
Tiktok for Apple: https://apps.apple.com/is/app/tiktok-make-your-day/id835599320